Thursday, July 19, 2012

Trying more raw

The last two days Arya got to eat 3 chicken legs total. She loved it but I think 3 in 2 days was too much. Her stool this morning was really hard. She was straining. So we did some more research on proper portions of raw food, apparently its 80-10-10. 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ. Oopps! She might have gotten too much bone in her diet which caused her stool to be too hard.

We did some grocery shopping for her. We bought an apple to see if she'd like it. We are trying to incorporate more natural/unprocessed foods in her diet. She likes dried strawberries and carrots. I gave her half of a 10 inch carrot and she liked it. It just ended being messy. Her left over look like ground carrot on the carpet and she wouldn't eat her "crumbs".

Ground chicken with
chicken heart and liver.
Chicken heart

Back to the grocery list. We also bought her ground chicken, chicken heart, and chicken liver. I cut up the chicken liver and heart into smaller pieces. The liver I already know she doesn't chew but I wasn't sure about the heart so I cut just in case. The heart we bought was little fatty, so while cutting it I removed the fat. She liked it. She has never been really been a picky eater. She licked her bowl clean. I cut a small wedge of the apple for her. I thought it was funny that she wouldn't take the whole wedge or that eat the smaller pieces that I gave her. She nibbled on the wedge when I held it for her. She only used her front teeth. 

What other kinds raw foods do you give you pet? Have you guys tried primal raw food? Which would you guys recommend?






1 comment:

  1. Love Primal Raw... but it's pricey to feed it full time! When I do buy it, we feed primarily the Turkey & Sardine recipe.

    For commercial raw, you may also want to look up Smallbatch. Limited local distribution, but they are based in the Bay Area...

    ReplyDelete